Sunday, September 22, 2013

Stay at home mom

Well, after much prayer and thought, I am a stay at home mommy!  Well...not quite yet.  I am finishing out my maternity then going back for 2 weeks THEN I will be done.  But I have officially sent in my resignation!

This process to decide to do this was harder than I thought it would be!  I have always wanted this and James and I have discussed us doing this when we had kids since we've been married, but once it became an option, I got scared.  I was not expecting that feeling.  I thought excitement would be the main feeling.  I guess it's because I thought this wouldn't happen this soon, I also don't want to get behind in the pharmacy world and because I really do like my job!  Yes, it has it's bad things about it, but EVERY job does.  But for the most part, I really love being a pharmacy technician!  And working at Costco was always "The mothership" as my last co worker, Sara, put it.  It was the job I always wanted and in retail, I don't think you can get better!  So to quit after 3 years there, I was hesitant.  But, I KNOW this is the right thing right now in my life.  My kids are so young and I want to be there for them and for James. 

This is all possible because James got a new job a couple months ago at Okland Construction.  He is loving it and hopefully will be moving up pretty quickly.  He loves it and I LOVE that he loves it!  When I was working just part time we STILL never saw each other!  We would miss each other my just an hour!  We would see each other for 1 hour at night.  So, yes I might be sacrificing our income a bit now, but the fact that I was sacrificing my relationship with my family wasn't working.  Short term we could do it, but long term...no way. 

So, I am trying to get in the groove of being home all day which is also harder than I thought it would be!  It is quite the adjustment, but I am up for the challenge!  I love my kids so much and really want to be there for them through these crucial years of development and love seeing them grow and learn! 

So if any of you stay at home moms have any advice for me, let me have it!  I need any tips you are willing to share.  Being a mom really is the hardest job out there!

8 comments:

  1. How exciting! I remember trying to decide if I should quit teaching (or just go part time) when my first was born. It is a hard decision! The hardest thing about being at home all the time for me is feeling like they are constantly attached to me all day every day. So still take some time for yourself. Also, congrats on your cute little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! It definitely was a harder decision than I thought! Even part time is hard. Finding babysitters and feeling like I am imposing by asking was also hard! Thanks for the advice! We need to get together and catch up!

      Delete
  2. YAH!!! Congrats Britt! The best advice is to make sure you give yourself your OWN time. Its constant needy children and you will need a few minutes to yourself!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely taking time to myself! I think right now especially since they are both so young! I feel guilty sometimes leaving somewhere right when James gets home since he works all day too. BUT...I need it for my sanity! haha

      Delete
  3. I had a hard time deciding to stay home, too. And I'm nervous everyday that I'm losing my edge in nursing. But, honestly, I LOVE being home. And I love how much I see Eric. I love that we don't have to plan around two schedules. I simply love it. Someday I'll go back, but I'm so glad it's not right now. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Your boys are so handsome, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it! I feel like I am really good at my job and if I do take the time off, I am going to lose that! Especially cuz I worked so hard to get where I am at professionally! We are both definitely excited about not having two schedules to plan around! We are just excited to finally really ENJOY our children TOGETHER! Thanks for the advice! I am glad someone relates with me! (And thanks, I think my boys are cute too;))

      Delete
  4. Oh Britt, it's hard to stay home, but you can do it! I agree with the other comments, just make sure you take time for yourself. You should do something every day if you can. Even if it's small like sitting down and watching a great episdoe of House Hunters during nap time ( I do that!) or reading a few chapters in a book you like. Whatever it is, do something everyday. Also, you could get together with some of your friends (like me!) and we can hang out and chat! I make sure to do something with another adult during the week. I usually shoot for twice a week. Even if it's not a big thing like music class or reading time at the library with people I don't even know. I also like to spread out my errands so I have something to do a few mornings a week other than a whole day of errands. Conner loves getting out of the house and it's good for the two of us. I may be singing a different tune once I try going out with two but we'll see. Hope this helps. Call if you ever need to vent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I don't really get why I am in such a funk right now! I am not depressed, I just feel like I am still trying to figure out this "new life". WAY harder than I thought it would be! I will definitely be getting together with you more now! We should plan to just get together one day a week and alternate houses.

      Delete